Risk Management Policies
Risk Management Policy Awareness
At the beginning of the intake process, each member or pledge shall be advised of and be provided with a copy of the Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity’s risk management policies. Each chapter shall review the risk management policy at the first chapter meeting of each school term and shall record the risk management policy review in the minutes of that meeting. A copy of the policies shall be posted on Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity’s website.
Sexual Harassment, Abuse, or Misconduct Policy
Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. does not condone, nor will it tolerate any form of sexist or sexually abusive behavior such as sexual harassment, abusive behavior, or misconduct on the part of its chapters, members, or pledges whether physical, mental, or emotional. This includes but is not limited to any actions which are demeaning to women and men including without limitation date rape, or verbal harassment by individuals or members acting together.
Alcohol and Drugs Policy
Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. will take responsible and good faith measures to assure that our members abide by law and policy and that our actions reflect positively on ourselves and on Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. None of these actions can provide an adequate substitute for personal responsibility for risk on the part of those who opt to consume or to provide alcoholic beverages.
1. The possession, use, and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages, while at any Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity event, whether local, regional, provincial, national, or international in scope; or any situation sponsored or endorsed by any chapter or alumni association or by the Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc., or at any event an observer would associate with the Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity must comply with any applicable laws of the country, state, province, county, city, or school.
2. No alcoholic beverages may be purchased using chapter, alumni association, or Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity funds nor may the purchase of alcoholic beverages for members or guests be undertaken by anyone in the name of or on behalf of Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc.
3. The possession, sales, and/or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance at any Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity event or any event an observer would associate with the Gamma Beta Chi National Service Fraternity, Inc. is prohibited. The legal use of a prescribed drug is permissible.
4. No Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. group may co-sponsor an event where alcohol is purchased by any host group or organization that does not comply with this policy.
5. Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity-sponsored events where alcohol is present are prohibited. Open events are those at which non-members are provided unrestricted access without specific invitation.
6. When alcohol is served at Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity events, the service of alcohol must be conducted on a cash bar basis utilizing the services of a properly licensed and insured company providing professional bartender services.
7. The following general provisions apply:
a. No member individually or collectively, shall purchase for, serve to, or sell alcoholic beverages to any minor (those under the legal drinking age).
b. Reasonable precautions will be taken by the alcohol service providers and host chapters to prevent the excessive consumption of alcohol and to prevent the service of alcohol to underage persons by anyone.
c. Members or guests who arrive at an event in an intoxicated state will not be permitted to attend.
d. At each event, there shall be designated, non-drinking members.
e. Ample Non-alcoholic beverages shall be provided at each event.
f. The service of alcoholic beverages shall end at a specific time which shall be established and published in advance of the event.
g. No “drinking games” shall be permitted.
Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. opposes hazing. The fraternity recognizes hazing as a violation of law and contrary to the fraternity’s objective to “promote the artistic, scientific, and practical proficiency of its membership and the profession.” All chapters should conduct themselves professionally at all times and follow a constructive pledge education program and initiation that will uphold the dignity of our fraternity and each of its members.
No chapter, colony, student (pledge or member), alumnus, or graduate shall conduct nor condone hazing activities. Permission or approval by a person being hazed is not a defense. Hazing activities are defined as:
Any action is taken, or situation created, intentionally, or unintentionally whether on or off Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity premises, to produce or cause mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Such activities may include but are not limited to the following: use of alcohol; paddling in any form; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks; quests, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, road trips or any other such activities carried on outside or inside the confines of the chapter house; kidnappings, whether by pledges or active members; wearing of public apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste; engaging in public stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; and any other such activities that are not consistent with academic achievement, fraternal law, ritual or policy, or the regulations and policies of the educational institution, or applicable state law.
Every member of Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. is subject to local, state, and federal laws on hazing, and must follow all university policies and procedures applicable to student organizations. In addition, per the Constitution and By-Laws of Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc., the Grand Council may suspend chapters or “for violations of the law which threaten the existence of the Fraternity.”
Automobiles and Transportation Policy
Any individual who drives or provides transportation in conjunction with Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. activities shall obey all applicable motor vehicle laws, including, but not limited to, those concerning vehicle safety, vehicle operation, financial responsibility and/or insurance, and the transportation and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Operators shall ensure that vehicles are properly maintained, not overloaded, and are operated safely. Rental vehicles shall be operated in accordance with rental contracts. Use of personal vehicles shall be strictly voluntary and the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner/operator. Financial Responsibility laws generally impose responsibility for accidents on the Driver or Owner of vehicles. Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. assumes no responsibility or liability and provides no insurance to Drivers or Owners of vehicles for accidents or injuries, or for any damages to vehicles not owned by Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity that may be used in conjunction with Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. activities.
Fire, Health, and Safety
1. All chapter houses should meet all local fire and health codes and standards.
2. All chapters should post by common phones and in other locations emergency numbers for fire, police, and ambulance and should have posted evacuation routes on the back of the door of each sleeping room.
3. All chapters should comply with engineering recommendations as reported by the insurance company or municipal authorities.
4. The possession and/or use of firearms or explosive or incendiary devices of any kind within the confines and premises of the chapter house or during a fraternity event or in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter is prohibited.
5. Candles should not be used in chapter houses or individual rooms except under controlled circumstances such as initiation.
6. Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. prohibits animals within the chapter facility and at all chapter events. This is to include both chapter-owned pets as well as pets belonging to individual members living with a chapter facility.
7. Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. prohibits the use of hookahs or similar products within the fraternity structure or at an event held by the fraternity.
Members Personal Property
Policy Use of personal property in Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. activities shall be strictly voluntary and the sole responsibility of the owner. Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity, Inc. assumes no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage to any personal property of members even if used in conjunction with Gamma Beta Chi Fraternity activities.